- Describe the objectives and functions of the WTO.
Use this document and page 265-266 of textbook to summarize the objectives and functions of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
Use the internet, and in particular ‘The WTO in Brief’ section of the WTO website (www.wto.org), to do the following tasks.
- How does the WTO help trade flow? http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/inbrief_e/inbr00_e.htm
- Briefly outline the agreements re goods, services, intellectual property and dispute settlement. http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/inbrief_e/inbr03_e.htm
- What special provisions are included for developing countries? http://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/inbrief_e/inbr04_e.htm
- Look at the 10 benefits of the WTO https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/whatis_e/10thi_e/10thi00_e.htm Which of these are the most important from an economic point of view?
- What is the focus of the Doha Round? http://wto.org/english/tratop_e/dda_e/dda_e.htm
- Use the internet to find some alternative, critical views of the WTO.
The following document contains competing views of the WTO but they are all mixed up - use annotation or highlighting to distinguish the positive views of the WTO from the criticisms made against the WTO.